The New Jersey State Bar Association 2013 Annual Meeting and Convention will be held May 15-17, 2013, at the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa. Six Gibbons attorneys will be featured as speakers and moderators at this years convention. The Gibbons attorneys, Fruqan Mouzon, Mary Frances Palisano, Damian V. Santomauro, Judge Edwin H. Stern, Jennifer Marino Thibodaux, and Chief Justice James R. Zazzali, will be covering topics ranging from developments in E-Discovery to white collar crime and the Consumer Fraud Act.
- Consumer Fraud Act: Remedies & Defenses for Purchases of Property and Home Renovation Contracts
- Damian V. Santomauro, Director in the Gibbons Business & Commercial Litigation Department
- Thursday, 8:30 – 9:45 am, The Water Club.
This panel will cover the rights and remedies available under the Consumer Fraud Act to consumers who have contracted for purchase of property or for home renovation contracts. Mr. Santomauro will discuss the elements of a CFA claim, specifically construction law cases, businesses as CFA plaintiffs, and individual liability of principals and officers for CFA claims.
- White Collar Crime
- Judge Edwin H. Stern, Counsel to the Gibbons Business & Commercial Litigation Department, & Mary Frances Palisano, Counsel to the Gibbons Criminal Defense Department
- Thursday, 10:00 – 11:15 am, The Borgata
Judge Stern and Ms. Palisano will discuss various white collar crimes, including embezzlement and public contract fraud.
- Recent Legal and Technological Developments in E-Discovery: What Every State and Federal Practitioner Should Know
- Jennifer Marino Thibodaux, Associate in the Gibbons Business & Commercial Litigation Department
- Thursday, 1:00 – 2:15 pm, The Borgata
Ms. Thibodaux’s panel will discuss important technological and legal developments in E-Discovery, such as predictive coding, recent court decisions related to the use of search terms, social media and information preservation.
- Inside Trenton
- Fruqan Mouzon, Director in the Gibbons Business & Commercial Litigation Department
- Thursday, 3:00 – 4:15 pm, The Borgata
Mr. Mouzon will moderate this panel, which will cover the latest developments in Trenton. The panelists will offer insight into the legislative process and hot topics in the capitol such as gubernatorial and legislative races.
- Justice at Stake
- Chief Justice James R. Zazzali, Counsel to the Gibbons Business & Commercial Litigation Department
- Friday, 9:45 – 11:00 am, The Borgata
Chief Justice Zazzali’s panel will discuss the threats facing the independence and integrity of the New Jersey Judiciary. The panelists will not only provide a statewide overview, but a national overview of this topic and the challenges that various states are facing.
For more information on the other panel discussions going on throughout the convention, please click here.